It’s natural to be concerned about your elderly parents as they become older and pass beyond retirement age. Caring for parents in their own homes is a choice that many Americans make as adult children. Have you seen your mother start to forget medications or mix up the times of appointments? Perhaps you’ve noticed your dad doesn’t enjoy reading anymore and gets very lonely. No matter what your situation is with your parents and their individual needs, it can be tough to provide them with everything yourself. Even though it’s a great opportunity to be able to help your aging parents when they need it, don’t expect too much of yourself.
You can still meet their needs without having to do it all on your own. That’s what professionally trained caregivers are for. Having some days off will benefit both you and your mother or father, because being rested and happy will enable you to take better care of them. During these times where you have some of your own life back, the hired caregiver can step in to make sure your aging parent is comfortable and safe. You can also involve other family members in the caregiving, as the social aspect will be another great benefit to your parent. Talk with the caregiver you hire for more ideas.
Hiring Home Care for Senior Parents
Senior care services are the perfect option for someone whose elderly relative is still living at home and wants their independence but needs help with some daily activities. Even if your mother or father is still walking well, doesn’t have dementia and feels pretty good, they can benefit from the experience of a caregiver. For people with specific needs such as mental illness or a physical disability, there are caregivers who have extra patience and can make your parent feel as comfortable as possible. The best caregivers are those who treat their patients like friends.
Here are some of the greatest benefits you and your parent can get from senior care:
- They will keep track of healthy eating and meal plans
- Help with dressing and clothing selection
- Caring for houseplants
- Playing care games and doing crafts with the elderly person
- Organize and mail letters and bills
- Take your parent grocery shopping and make lists
- Visiting relatives and friends together
- Bathing and personal hygiene assistance
- Going to religious services with your parent
- Taking out garbage and small housekeeping chores
- Reminders for taking medications
- Helping to arrange social meetings and activities
- Involving family members in parts of the caregiving
- Caregivers will drive your parent to do shopping and errands
- Attending club meetings with them
For all of your senior care needs in Cherry Hill, NJ and the surrounding areas call and talk to us at Home to Stay Healthcare Solutions (856) 321-1500.
Home to Stay Senior Care Solutions is owned and operated by the Dubler and Skole Families and was started because of experiences they had with their own Families. In one situation Mom was living alone and had a fall. It was not until this fall that the family realized they were unprepared.
When it was time for their Mom to come home, she needed companion and personal care to assist her and prevent another accident. Like most people in this situation, they were confused and did not know where to go for help. It was this life-changing experience that lead to starting a home care company that is focused on enabling those who wish to stay at home and age in place.
Latest posts by Andrew Dubler (see all)
- 10 Early Signs and Symptoms of Alzheimer’s - August 15, 2019
- Things to Remember If You Love Someone With Dementia - August 1, 2019
- 10 Things Every Alzheimer’s Caregiver Needs To Know - July 12, 2019