Sometimes weather puts a damper on our plans for the day, but it certainly doesn”t have to end the fun. When it is raining or snowing outside, we don”t always want to take our senior loved ones out in fear of them catching cold or other illnesses. During the winter or spring months, snow or rain can put a hold on errands or outdoor activities for quite a few days in a row. In an effort to keep our aging family members in good spirits, it is important to plan indoor activities that will keep them active.
If a family member is unable to spend the inclement days with their loved ones, a home care companion can provide companionship and spend the time with your senior family member. A home care companion can plan fun indoor activities that can keep your loved one”s mind stimulated, light exercises that will keep them moving, and provide good conversation to keep them socially active.
The following are some fun activities that can provide hours of enjoyment for your aging family member and other family members, grandchildren, or a home care companion:
- A senior is sure to have a hobby that interests them; it could be jewelry making, scrapbooking, cooking, baking, puzzles, or a number of other things. No matter what the hobby is, an afternoon can be online casino enjoyed doing their favorite activity. This can stir memories and conversation, as well as passing the time doing what they like best.
- If it”s been a while since your senior loved one has been able to get out and get exercise, you can spend an hour doing some light indoor stretches and exercises. This is sure to make your loved one feel good and is also great for their health. After some exercise, a family member or home care companion can spend time with a senior cooking a good healthy meal and then sitting down over lunch for some good conversation. Both exercise and eating nutritious meals are key components to keeping your loved one healthy and happy.
- A movie marathon can make for an entertaining afternoon. Watching the classics can bring back great memories for a senior loved one. This can stoke conversation; a senior and family member or home care companion can reminisce about the first time they saw the movie. There are probably some great stories to be told.
- Playing board games or a game of cards is sure to be a good way to pass the day. There are many simple board games that can be played with very little instruction and some seniors might be old pros with the card games. A family member or home care companion can share new games as well as learn some old games from the senior.
These suggestions, as well as many others, are a great way to keep spirits up and spend a pleasurable day with a senior loved one. Remember, the keys to keeping a senior healthy are companionship, physical, mental and social interaction.
For all of your senior care needs in Cherry Hill, NJ and the surrounding areas call and talk to us at Home to Stay Healthcare Solutions (856) 321-1500.
Home to Stay Senior Care Solutions is owned and operated by the Dubler and Skole Families and was started because of experiences they had with their own Families. In one situation Mom was living alone and had a fall. It was not until this fall that the family realized they were unprepared.
When it was time for their Mom to come home, she needed companion and personal care to assist her and prevent another accident. Like most people in this situation, they were confused and did not know where to go for help. It was this life-changing experience that lead to starting a home care company that is focused on enabling those who wish to stay at home and age in place.
Latest posts by Andrew Dubler (see all)
- 10 Early Signs and Symptoms of Alzheimer’s - August 15, 2019
- Things to Remember If You Love Someone With Dementia - August 1, 2019
- 10 Things Every Alzheimer’s Caregiver Needs To Know - July 12, 2019