Once your aging parent has moved through the first stage of Alzheimer’s disease, they will enter the longest stage. Referred to as the moderate stage or middle stage Alzheimer’s disease, this stage of the progression can last for several years. It is during this time that the challenges and symptoms of the disease will become more distinct and will begin to more dramatically impact your parents functioning, health, and quality of life. By the time that they transition out of this stage and into advanced stage Alzheimer’s disease, the challenges and limitations will be considerable and require extensive care. It is important to begin to prepare for the moderate stage so that you can be ready to give your aging parent to care that they need when they reach this more challenging time.
Some things that you can expect during the moderate stage of Alzheimer’s disease include:
- Becoming more forgetful, including for getting details about their own life and personal experiences
- Experiencing more changes in mood and personality, including feeling withdrawn and no longer wanting to participate in activities with friends or family
- Having difficulty recalling basic details about their life such as their address or telephone number
- Experiencing confusion about the day, the season, the year, or progression of time
- Experiencing confusion about where they are or how they got there
- Appearance of incontinence symptoms in some people
- Increased instances of losing items or putting items in strange places
- Showing wandering tendencies or becoming lost frequently
- Difficulty selecting appropriate clothing for the weather, the event, the time of year, or other specifications
- Becoming increasingly irritable or showing mood swings
- Demonstrating repetitive behaviors such as shredding paper or pacing
- Increase communication difficulties
Starting elder care can be a fantastic way to encourage higher quality of life for your aging parent as they age in place. An elderly home care services provider can be with your aging parent on a customized schedule to ensure that they have access to all of the care, support, and assistance that they need to manage their needs in a way that respects their individual thoughts, opinions, beliefs, and goals. Through these highly personalized services, the elder care provider can help your parent to stay healthy, happy, safe, and comfortable while also encouraging more independence and fulfillment throughout their later years. These services can include safe and reliable transportation, medication reminders, assistance with running errands, help with personal care needs, meal preparation, and more.
For elderly care in Woolwich Township, NJ, and the surrounding areas, call and talk to us at Home to Stay Healthcare Solutions (856) 321-1500.
Home to Stay Senior Care Solutions is owned and operated by the Dubler and Skole Families and was started because of experiences they had with their own Families. In one situation Mom was living alone and had a fall. It was not until this fall that the family realized they were unprepared.
When it was time for their Mom to come home, she needed companion and personal care to assist her and prevent another accident. Like most people in this situation, they were confused and did not know where to go for help. It was this life-changing experience that lead to starting a home care company that is focused on enabling those who wish to stay at home and age in place.
Latest posts by Andrew Dubler (see all)
- 6 Common Problems Nursing Homes Face - December 15, 2019
- Biogen’s Alzheimer’s Drug - December 11, 2019
- What Are Nursing and Residential Care Facilities, and Why Are They Important - December 1, 2019