Elderly Care in Mt. Laurel NJ
Coffee is one of the most popular go-to beverages in the morning for millions of Americans. It gives them the burst of energy needed to begin their day. However, experts have been giving us mixed signals as to whether or not coffee is healthy. More and more of these experts are beginning to agree that this is a drink that should be included into the diet of people of various ages, but especially seniors. Below are some of the other benefits to filling up the elder’s coffee cup each day.
• Gets the brain working. With every sip of coffee, the caffeine travels into the bloodstream and heads directly for the brain. It can help block adenosine, which is an inhibitory neurotransmitter. It can also help boost norepinephrine and dopamine, which are other neurotransmitters. Because of this, coffee can increase the elder’s mood, energy level, cognitive functioning, and reaction times.
• Reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is a serious problem among older adults. By drinking one or two cups of coffee per day, the elder’s risk of developing this disease is much lower. In fact, adults who drink coffee regularly are 23 to 50 percent less likely to develop this form of diabetes.
• Lowered risk of degenerative diseases. Diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease can possibly be prevented by drinking a cup or two of Joe. Studies have shown that elders who drink coffee regularly are up to 60 percent less likely to develop Parkinson’s disease, along with being 65 percent less likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease.
• Protects the liver. Fatty liver disease and cirrhosis may be prevented through coffee consumption by up to 80 percent. However, in order to get the benefits this drink has on the liver, it should be consumed black. By adding sugar, milk, cream, and other additives, it can actually have a reversed impact on the liver, causing more damage to it.
• Improves energy level. One of the most well-known effects of coffee is its ability to increase energy levels. Adults who drink a cup or two each day are able to become productive and accomplish a wide range of projects and tasks that may have been impossible among elderly adults with low energy levels.
As beneficial as coffee can be for your elderly parent’s health, it can be dangerous if consumed in large quantities. With the help of an elder care provider, you will be able to monitor your loved one’s consumption in order to make sure they are not having more caffeine than they should.
For elderly care in Mt. Laurel, NJ and the surrounding areas, call and talk to us at Home to Stay Healthcare Solutions (856) 321-1500.
Home to Stay Senior Care Solutions is owned and operated by the Dubler and Skole Families and was started because of experiences they had with their own Families. In one situation Mom was living alone and had a fall. It was not until this fall that the family realized they were unprepared.
When it was time for their Mom to come home, she needed companion and personal care to assist her and prevent another accident. Like most people in this situation, they were confused and did not know where to go for help. It was this life-changing experience that lead to starting a home care company that is focused on enabling those who wish to stay at home and age in place.
Latest posts by Andrew Dubler (see all)
- 10 Early Signs and Symptoms of Alzheimer’s - August 15, 2019
- Things to Remember If You Love Someone With Dementia - August 1, 2019
- 10 Things Every Alzheimer’s Caregiver Needs To Know - July 12, 2019