Being a family caregiver for an aging adult who is living with Alzheimer’s disease can be an extremely challenging experience. You are likely to encounter emotional difficulties, challenging decisions, and other issues that can make it difficult for you to handle your daily life as well as her caregiver responsibilities. One of the best ways to help you handle these challenges and continue to devote yourself to being the best caregiver possible for your parent is to join a support group. Seek out a support group at the beginning of your parents journey with Alzheimer’s disease so that you can take advantage of the benefits throughout the progression.
Some of the benefits of being a part of a support group while you care for a senior with Alzheimer’s disease include:
- Giving you a place to express yourself and your emotions without feeling as though you are “venting” to or burdening your partner, family, or friends
- Giving you a place where you do not feel as alone. You will see others who are in the same position you are and are experiencing many of the same things. This will help to reassure you and make you feel more confident and stronger
- Offering you a sense of confidence as you see that there are others who have gone through the same things and are further along on the journey that you are, but have made it through
- Giving you a place where you can get advice and recommendations for how to handle challenges and issues
- Offering you an opportunity to offer your own insights and support for others, which can clarify your role and reassure you that you are doing something right when you may be questioning yourself
Being a family caregiver for an elderly adult can be stressful and challenging. Fortunately, home care can be there for you to ease this stress and make the journey easier and more fulfilling for your aging parent and for you. A care provider can be in the home with your parent on a schedule that is customized to your parent’s needs as well as the time that you are able to devote to caring for them so that your senior has access to the level of care that is right for them. Through these highly personalized services a care provider can ensure that your parent has the support, care, and assistance that they need to manage their daily needs, fulfill activities of daily living, maintain medication compliance, manage their health challenges, and stay as independent and active as possible as they age in place. This can help them to maintain a higher quality of life throughout their later years and support a better lifestyle for you as well.
For caregivers in Woolwich Township, NJ, and the surrounding areas, call and talk to us at Home to Stay Healthcare Solutions (856) 720-0100.
Home to Stay Senior Care Solutions is owned and operated by the Dubler and Skole Families and was started because of experiences they had with their own Families. In one situation Mom was living alone and had a fall. It was not until this fall that the family realized they were unprepared.
When it was time for their Mom to come home, she needed companion and personal care to assist her and prevent another accident. Like most people in this situation, they were confused and did not know where to go for help. It was this life-changing experience that lead to starting a home care company that is focused on enabling those who wish to stay at home and age in place.
Latest posts by Andrew Dubler, Co-Owner (see all)
- Alzheimer’s Screenings Often Left Out Of Seniors’ Wellness Exams - April 11, 2019
- 12 Tips for Caring for Someone with Alzheimer’s - April 1, 2019
- Tip From A Person Living With Alzheimer’s - March 14, 2019